# # POST TITLE HERE

What happens when your journey gets too hard?

May 1, 2014


I write posts to pump myself up and my readers who are beginning a weight loss journey. Or simply going through a hard time. I want to do everything possible I can to educate and empower anyone who will take the time to read my crazy thoughts. My mission has always been about "balance" - not the extremes. I write about how to start, provide healthy recipes, exercise tips, and hopefully some motivation for you all...

...but what about during the journey? 

How about elaborating on how hard it gets after months of rigorous fitness training and a strict eating schedule? Often times we read a persons entire story - the sad beginning, how much time it took them, and their triumphant end... but what about the heart of their story? The hard work that goes into it? Reading a persons entire story is enough to motivate someone to jump start their journey; but once the "newness" of the weight loss journey is gone, it is easy to fall back into unhealthy routines and undo all of your hard work. 

I have been on my new weight loss journey for 5 months now. Every single day it is a lot of hard work. It's extremely rewarding and I absolutely love it; but that does not mean that it isn't hard. I realized on Monday that I am entering the faze of "getting tired". I put on a lot of weight in 13 months - I developed and strengthened bad habits, and it is requiring a lot dedication and motivation to get back to where I was. I am down 45 pounds, but I still have at least another 30 to go before I am in a happy, content place. When I think about it like that, it makes me sad and a bit pessimistic, but I know I can do it... if I keep going. 

When I went to the doctor last Friday, I was up a pound. I was not surprised in the least. I was tired. I wanted bad food. I am embarking on this weight loss journey in the midst of so much change around me, and sometimes it gets so overwhelming. However, making excuses as to why I slightly fell off the bandwagon is not going to fix anything. The first bit of advice I could ever offer to anyone who is becoming tired on their weight loss journey is to stop with the excuses. Excuses are for people who aren't strong enough. They are for people who don't want to be better than they are. They are for people who don't dream big enough. There is a quote I heard that really defines how I feel: don't wish for it; work for it.

Even though I felt bad about the scale, I pushed on. The scale defines nothing. But it does make me mad at the fact that for the last 7 days, I have made healthy choices, kicked ass during my workouts, and I am not down a single ounce - in fact I am UP. When I take a step back and analyze my behavior last week, the truth is, I cheated on my diet more than I should have. Not a lot, but more than what a person who is still trying to lose a significant amount of weight should be. I am still working on the "food is not my comfort". I am not perfect, but I can tell you, I am so much better than I ever have been. My personal and family life is a roller coaster right now (my season of change keeps on changing) and by now with that hurt, the old me would have been knee deep in bad food obtaining some false comfort, but not now. 

This past weekend, I made healthier choices and I stayed on my schedule. I pushed through a big hike even when I was tired. I love going out with my friends, having drinks, dinner, and doing fun things, but I do it in the healthiest way possible. I enjoy it that way and that is what I did. Then Monday comes. I start the week with a positive mindset. But by the end of the day, I was exhausted, frustrated, and felt myself just wanting to go home. However, I had a scheduled workout. Sunday was a rest day, and my body was better, but my mind wasn't. An hour before I was to leave work, I made up my mind that I was going home and spend the evening on the couch.

Fifteen minutes before I was about to leave work, I stopped and asked myself "is this really how I want to start my week?". I knew it wasn't. I knew if I went home, I would regret it and probably eat bad. The old me would have. But I am not the old Liz anymore. Thus I gathered every ounce of strength and pushed myself to go to the gym. 

The moment I walked through those familiar doors, I instantly felt energized, rejuvenated, and I had a really, really good workout. I was so strong. My mood instantly improved 100%. I went home, cooked my healthy meatloaf with my healthy potatoes, and a side of healthy asparagus, and clean eating never tasted so damn good. I fought through a bad mindset, I dug deep inside to obtain that tiny bit of hope to push through, and it set the tone for a great week.

I have been pushing through 100% on track the entire week. When you win a battle inside of yourself, no matter how small, it can truly make a huge impact on your life. Because I am working so hard, and I have improved not only body, but my mind, even when I "fall off track", it is only slightly, nothing like I used too. That alone is another battle won. 

By making that small effort on Monday, it changed everything. It proved to me that with just a little belief in myself, I can overcome anything and do anything I want. Every healthy choice you make is a step in the right direction. Never underestimate the power you are exuding when you choose water over soda, vegetables over fries, going to gym even after a hard day - all of it comes together and no healthy choice goes unrecognized in your body and on the scale.

I know how hard this journey can be. I had to start back at square one in November. Understanding the ups and downs and the frustrations of losing weight is essential. One must realize there will be times, especially when you have been working hard for a while, that you will want to give up, but you just have to keep going. No matter how small or slow the pace may be, keep going. Below I listed a picture with some tips that you should keep close to you if you ever find self-doubt trying to make it's way into your mind. It has no business there.



34 comments

  1. yes to all of this. i started my journey at the beginning of 2012 and even though 2 years have passed, there are days i struggle with motivation. not the food part but just the drive to go as hard as i used to...so i have to set mini goals for myself to do that. miami has been one and the next goal is tough mudder coming up in august.

    weight loss is hard, it's never a straight, easy road and you will encounter things in life that may threaten to throw you off track but keep your head up, keep going and you'll come out victorious in the end :)

    -kathy
    Vodka and Soda

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was exactly what I needed to hear this morning. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So proud of you! Its the maintaining and everyday that gets tough! Keep making good decisions and knowing this is for YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The inbetween in the hard part. Now you're analyzing your body and everything you put into it which is stressful. You're working out and trying to keep that progressing, which is stressful. And you're trying to be positive all the time so you keep your motivation. Trying to be positive all the time is exhausting! I turn some of my workouts into high energy by using frustration. I turn on rock music and get into it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are right. One sentence struck a cord with me personally is "When you win a battle inside of yourself, no matter how small, it can truly make a huge impact on your life." I know how this feels I really do. Thank you for voicing your struggles and your positive energy. I truly appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this...its hard a lot of the time and remembering the reason can get blurry.. " No matter how small or slow the pace may be, keep going"...These are the posts I need to see!!! You're awesomeness Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's easy to fall off the wagon sometimes, whatever the situation might be. I fight this battle too. I feel amazing when I stay on track with eating good and a steady workout routine. Then I go through a week or 2 where I have zero motivation and want BAD food. Most important thing is to pick yourself back up and push on, and you my dear rock! There is nothing better than that feeling during an intense workout, you just have to get through the door! I always tell myself on days I want to skip it, "You'll regret it if you don't work out, you WILL not regret it if you do"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've learned there is only a beginning and never an end. Maintenance means you continue to live this lifestyle well past your goal weight. I'm where you're at right now, fighting through a move, weight gain. Its not easy getting your whole life thrown upside down when you follow a rather strict schedule. But I'm doing it and just like you this time I had to learn to get excited over the small steps that lead to bigger steps. Because this time (I have to say this time is not like last time this time is like 15 pds last time was 85) it has been insanely hard. A combination of a new life and a whole new place to explore, made weekends insane. BUT two weekends ago I managed not to drink. The proceeding weekend I made healthy meal choices. And THIS week I just know I'll make healthy snacking choices on top of the other two new choices! Guess what happened when I tried to do all of that at once? Big fail every weekend. You keep preaching the good word sister. You got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true Kari and very well said. It sounds like you have been doing what I have; picking yourself up and making one healthy choice at a time - no matter how small. And see how much it has added up for you? Just like it has me. I am so happy that my other readers will be able to see how "small steps" worked for you as well.

      Delete
  9. Appreciate the honesty, my journey, like yours has a lot more "meat" to it than sometimes meets the eye! You are doing an amazing job. You are doing something that is so hard and your dedication is very inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree Ive been on my journey for almost 2 years now and i will say I got tired and gave up around November and gained 8lbs EIGHT! Im trying to get back on track now and I started this week. Its definitely a lifestyle change there is no end date. I am at a good weight but I will always have to work to stay here ya know?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl I love this...and you....so hard! I love how open and honest you are with your journey. You dont just share how well you do...but you share when you fall off and how you pick yourself back up. We all do it, we can't pretend like this is just some easy task and we never make mistakes. I needed to hear this today. I never miss my work outs, but gosh darn do I mess up with food choices some times! No more excuses. NONE.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So proud of you Liz! You are SUCH a positive role model and beacon of inspiration to bloggers everywhere. Keep up the amazing work!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. We all have those days, and sometimes those weeks! Good job having self discipline and doing what was best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the new look around here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You always dig deep and really push through and i really admire that about you. We all have those days when we just want to give up and being reminded of the journey is so important. Thank you for always sharing your story and being honest about the journey not always being a straight path.

    ReplyDelete
  16. thank you so much for sharing this, i love your posts are so honest and real. i couldnt have said it better, and i was feeling so stupidly down about myself today and this gave me the kick in the butt i needed. you have lost 45 lbs? you dont need to lose 30 more, but i know how it is with how you view yourself. but damn girl, good freaking work. more than halfway, you rockstar!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this post so much! It's so true. When I first read the title I thought "oh that's not me. I've been off the wagon too long, I'm a beginner again." But I'm still on this very long journey, still trying to figure out what works best for me on this leg of my journey. I haven't quit- so yes, I'm going to say this post IS for me. It's so inspiring to see other people go through the same things that I do. You're blog is one of the realist I've ever seen and I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved this post! Just what I need right now. I too am in the heart of my journey at this point. With my last month of college, finals and job searching I am just exhausted and feeling burnt out. However, I am sticking with it for the most part. I have 1 week of classes left and I am feeling excited to have 1 HUGE less thing to worry about so I can go full force again in my journey. Thank you for the pep talk! 4 more pants sizes to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. YES! Girl....*hands in air* PREACH!!! I am so happy you did this post - I think it's something people needed to hear..no matter where they are on their journey!!

    My problem is staying motivated for longer then a month...I go through phases where I am all in and then a switch it half in, and before I know it, I'm not in at all. I think everyone does this...I just gotta make sure I can learn to stay in.

    Thanks for the inspiration!!!
    You are Wonderful, and Beautiful!

    -Ashlee Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes. Just yes. This post brought tears to my eyes, because I can relate to is so much. I am so proud of you and you are one of the most inspiring people I've ever met. Thank you for sharing your story because it reminds me that the journey is just that, and if I put my mind to it I can achieve anything. Love you girlie, SO much! <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. This exact thing has happened to me before. Just leaving work, and I realize how angry I will be if i don't just go to the gym. Even a half assed workout is better than none. It helps ingrain the habit, and keeps you going. It makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  22. YOU GO!
    It's true, there are days I wake up and I am just so "I don't wannnnna".. But, then I get in the gym and I remember why I started.. I remember that I love it... and I just PUSH on.

    It's about small changes and consistency.. it's a progress... AND you being so self-accountable.. makes all the difference.

    NO EXCUSES!!!

    Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So true! I have been reading about this, but only started implementing this now, and the results are so awesome! Thank you for being one of my inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this post!!! I am in that tired phase right now with my diet. I am still working out hard daily but I would see more results if I eat better like I use too! For the past two weeks I haven't meal planned and it's totally catching up to me! It's funny how less stressful and better I eat when I take a few hours on Sunday just to plan it all out!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the kind reminder. Exactly what I needed to hear today.

    herweightlossdiary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ding dong! That's what I need to hear! And that's why I read blogs of "ordinary" people.
    Thanks for your daily "rambling", because they motivated me. I even got inspired to journal my weekly life on my blog, instead just mechanical scheduled post once a week, because I realize how much I enjoy reading your week recap as well as other people's recap, though not everyone's recap. Lol

    Visit me:
    LeeAnne, Style N Season
    http://stylenseason.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for the motivation. It has always been hard for me to stick to clean eating especially when dealing with all the ups and downs in life. I am trying to get back on the fitness and clean eating bandwagon. It is really stressful for me right now. I admit I haven't been doing such a good job at sticking to it. or exercising like I should be. Thanks for writing and posting about your journey. it is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a encouraging and uplifting post. I definitely need to quit with some of my excuses lately. Happy Sweating :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Since 2010 when I regained many pounds, I've been battling myself! I eat correctly and then I sabatoge. I have the motivation today and I'm trying to arm myself with all that have inspired me in the past. I'm stealing these and posting them. Thanks for sharing so much because you inspire me even though its taking me forever to find my consistent motivaiton. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made my day Lori. Thank you. I hope you were able to push through today.

      Delete
  30. Nutravesta Proven Weight Loss Diet Pills
    What Is NutraVesta ProVen?

    ProVen is a very helpful supplement for weight reduction. It not only provides weight loss support, it also promotes detoxification, which makes it a double-action formula.

    The best part is that all of the ingredients are organic, well-studied beforehand, and of top quality. Much research and testing by professionals has gone into this product to ensure its effectiveness and safety.

    Additionally, natural ingredients tend to suit folks better. It comes in an easy to swallow capsules that are taken once a day and is easy to incorporate into your daily routine.

    Nutravesta Proven Review (Video Watch Now)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for not only reading my blog, but taking the time to leave a response. If you notice that you do not hear back from me, please ensure you are not a "no-reply" blogger.

Keep in touch:
Twitter: FitnessBlondieL
Instagram: FitnessBlondieL
Say hello: Liz@TheFitnessBlondie.com
PR: Business@TheFitnessBlondie.com