Sometimes I just want to shout it from the mountain tops: carbs are not the enemy! I am not going to elaborate on this blog post, but long term, low carbohydrate diets are not only unhealthy, but dangerous. Your body fuels off of carbohydrates and if there is not enough, your body will start to burn your muscle instead of fat. The answer is to consume healthier choices of carbohydrates, these are called complex carbohydrates. More on that can be read here. Red potatoes are my favorite. Red potatoes provide essential minerals, including significant amounts of copper and zinc, also iron, vitamin C, fiber, and potassium. I created a recipe that is healthy, easy, and most of all delicious!
What you need:
- 7-8 baby red potatoes
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (nature's fat burner, this stuff is magical)
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance Omega-3 natural butter spread
- Garlic seasoning (example: garlic powder - I use "The Melting Pot's Garlic and Wine" seasoning)
What you do:
- Cut potatoes in half
- Wrap in plastic wrap
- Microwave for 13-15 minutes or until soft
- While the potatoes are cooking, place coconut oil and butter spread in a small, microwavable bowl
- Pour the Unsweetened Almond Milk in a separate, large mixing bowl
- Once the potatoes are finished cooking, place them in the same large bowl that the milk is in.
- Microwave coconut oil and butter spread for 30-45 seconds, until melted
- Pour over potatoes and milk in the large bowl
- Add seasoning of choice
- With a mixer (I use a Kitchen Aid mixer that you would use for a cake). on the lowest setting (this could get a bit messy) mixed potatoes for 1-2 minutes until consistency is to your desire!
Serving size: 7
(will vary based on ingredients and brands used. This is to be used as a guide, only)