# # POST TITLE HERE

Pre-Birthday Weekend Fun with Mom

July 28, 2014

Mom and I had a lot of fun planned for the weekend. Unfortunately, her Multiple Sclerosis had other plans. I really, really want to complain and tell you how this disease ruins everything, all of the time, for fun things I want to do with my mom. It has been this way 9 years now. Not to mention seeing someone you love so deeply in constant pain. I am not going to do that though, it will not solve anything, and at the end of the day, I am thankful my mom is alive and was able to drive down and stay. At least she is staying an extra couple of days since she can't drive home right now. Silver lining, right?

We went out Thursday evening and had a good time. I was off Friday so we slept late; until 10 AM. Mom woke up and not feeling well so she took her medicine and spent the day vegging on the couch. I went hiking. It was a beautiful, warm day, but the hike was hard. I felt more tired than usual after the long week. Though it was difficult, I pushed to the top. As always, it was worth it!


When I got back from hiking, I was pretty tired and looking forward to just relaxing. However, mama was itching to get out of the apartment. I had been wanting to buy a new bag/backpack to use for hiking since the one I had was crappy and bounced off my butt a lot when I hiked (which is so annoying) so we went to the mall. I found one I loved and a Marvel one at that. My inner comic nerd was elated so I had to have it.


We then picked up a pizza for dinner and a couple of Redbox movies. "Single Mom's Club"; boring, I stopped watching after 45 minutes, but mom liked it. We did not watch "Jack Ryan", which was the one I really wanted to see.


Saturday, we slept really late. Mom had a tough time throughout the night. We finally were up and moving around noon and I decided to take her across the street to this really delicious breakfast restaurant. One can eat brunch at noon, right? Ha. I was craving pancakes something fierce. We needed to go out to get mom medicine anyway. When we get to the restaurant, I find out it is closed down. My luck, right? That's the thing about Charlotte, or any big city sometimes, it is hard to have a favorite restaurant because so many businesses come and go. Since breakfast is served all day at IHOP, we ended up there. The pancakes were really good, but nothing like the restaurant that was across the street from my apartment. 


From consuming that amount of carbohydrates for breakfast/lunch, I was really tired after; super full and super tired. We picked up mom's medicine then went back to the apartment. I worked on my book for a couple of hours then went to the gym for 40 minutes of cardio and an upper body weight circuit. Again, it was not the best workout. The gym was too cold - I hate working out and "cold sweating", I hated all of my music, and it was all I could do to push through, but I did. I was over it.

I came back to the apartment, showered, and got decent. I put on my new outfit that we bought Thursday. I am no fashionita and I openly admit it. My style is faded torn jeans and a tank top. 
Once I was ready, I went to go run a few errands and pick mom up her favorite Chinese dinner. A "Big Bang Theory" marathon was on and she had her favorite dinner brought to her; she may be sick, but that can help anyone, right? I made myself my favorite green smoothie to detox a little: fresh orange juice, kale, spinach, chia and flax seeds, pineapple, mango, and a green apple.


Then I went and met my girlfriend Alexis and her husband Daniel at the movies to see "Lucy". I have been waiting a while for this movie to come out and it was freaking awesome. I don't know how else to explain it. It was brilliant. It makes you think a lot about how we got here and the power of the human mind.... and how little we know about everything. If you have the chance, go see it! Oh and I scored a free drink. I love my Regal card. 


Yesterday I decided to go hiking again. It was a non-lifting day at the gym and I love to workout outside when I have the chance. Back to the mountains I went. It started off as a hard hike. I have been out of it these past couple of days, I admit it. I was bloated, tired, and the weather was so humid and sticky, I couldn't breathe -- we had a big storm earlier in the morning. I debated on turning around many times. The thought of climbing to the top made me cringe. I did not turn around though. I made it to the top and it felt amazing. When I was coming down, I felt energized so I jogged most of the way. Not down the big part of the mountain because I would have killed my knees and fell on my face, but the parts that it was a little more even. I was soaked when I finished and felt really accomplished. 



I went home to clean up after and get ready for church. It was the start of "Love Week" and there was a lot of volunteer things going on it. It was also week two of the #DeathToSelfie series. And I have to say, it was one of Steven's most moving services yet. He never ceases to amaze me.



Once church was over, I picked up my mom and she and I went to this really cool restaurant called "Char Bar No. 7". I have driven past it a lot over the years but had never actually dined there. The atmosphere was awesome with live music, an outdoor lounge, and though it was typical "bar food", the menu had a good variety and it was delicious! I had a really good strawberry and mint cocktail. They are just more fun out of a mason jar.


After dinner, we went back to my apartment so I could rest and get ready for the work week. I am thankful it is only 3 days for me. I am ready for a 5 day break! 

30 comments

  1. Seems like a fabulous weekend girl! (other than Mama hurtin'- sending prayers!) I adore the new bag- I use to collect all things Spider-man and you would have died if you saw my high school room! hahaha Hope you have a great week! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, sending your mama lots of prayers! hope she feels better soon but yes, good she was able to stay a bit more.

    Your weekend sounds pretty awesome! I wish we had somewhere here to hike. I really need to find an amazing church like yours, I like my church now but its super small and doesn't do fun stuff like yours.

    have a fabulous week friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm ihops pancakes look delish! i hope your mother feels better soon! gorgeous pictures love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That first picture is absolutely gorgeous! And I like your shoes too :). I'm also craving pancakes for breakfast now - yours look great!

    www.madeintheshadeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a view....

    My son would love the new backpack :)

    The icing on the pancake looks awesome. Was it good?

    I'm visiting from MM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for a good weekend! Hope things with your mom's MS gets better soon. I have a good friend with MS and it's so hard to watch sometimes. Lots of thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so tired of Blogger eating my comments....let's try this again!

    Sounds like a great weekend with you mom, minus the pain :(

    The pancake and strawberry mint drink look delicious! I love a good Big Bang Theory marathon.

    That view is amazing! At least you are rewarded with all your hard work to the top with a view like that!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im totally jealous of your hiking views...there really isnt anywhere like that around here.
    Im glad your mom was able to spend time with you even if she wasnt feeling well it still looks like you guys had a great time.
    PS. A tank and jeans is TOTALLY my style.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your relationship with your mom reminds me a lot of mine! My mom is coming to visit me in Chicago (from Oklahoma) next week! Getting excited. Also- your hiking scenery is beautiful. I would love to get some hiking in around here somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mother has MS too. Our relationship is very different from yours... The illness brought out a lot of mental issues for my mother as well... But, I can attest, MS is awful... for everyone associated with it. So, I feel you girl.. I feel you.

    But, it seems regardless of your mom's exacerbation... that you guys had a nice weekend!

    And you pushed through those workouts like a CHAMP.. good for you! Sometimes, it's just about GETTING IT DONE! I got to take a picture and show you the Fitspo I put on my fridge.. there is this "poem" that has been completely keeping my focused, regardless of how bad I want to falter!

    And... Jeans and a tank top? That's my FASHIONISTA STYLE TOO! *You look amazing by the way*

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear about your mama :( I hope she gets to feeling better. Those hiking pics are just gorgeous! We went to the movies last night, he was debating between Lucy & X-Men, he picked X-Men. Lucy definitely looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Packed weekend, but sounds like a lot of fun things. So sorry to hear about your mom's MS. Sending good wishes and prayers from Michigan!

    ~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful hiking photos and the strawberry cocktail looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry your mom had a rough time, but I'm glad you still had a good weekend! Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You take the most beautiful pix on your hikes! Sorry your momma's not feeling well ):

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry about mom not feeling well..Hope she gets better soon!! PS Love those jeans and that top!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent weekend. Sorry your mom isn't doing well, but yay for having an extra few days with her!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did not 1 but 2 hikes?! Go girl! Sorry your Mom wasn't feeling well on this trip but luckily you get to spend more time with her. The pancakes look so good, though I would totally need a nap after too. Looks like a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fantastic weekend! I'm not a hiker but after looking at this post I feel like I should start!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like you had a great weekend! I am sorry about your mom. I know what it is like to have a mom with health issues. But, it is such a blessing to have someone in your life. You appreciate them even more then you did before. I haven't seen Lucy but it looks awesome. I'll probably wait until it comes out on Blue-ray.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wait a second missy - you said you aren't a fashionista? Well if I remember you were and probably still are!!!! Those shoes in shot one...love! They are made by???? Look at you always getting good cinema perks, jealous. I want to see Lucy now!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your hike looks so amazing and you look hot as hell!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A date with mom! Sounds like a thrill. I wish I was that close with my mother. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your new pic up top! :D
    I'm exactly like you when it comes to movies/shows... I will quit halfway through if I'm not feeling it - drives Pete crazy! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are so blessed to have your momma. Before my mom passed, there was about a decade where her illness dictated our time together, but I still really cherished every moment that I spent with her. Glad you get to have those times. She sounds like a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds like an amazing weekend!!!

    Happy Early Birthday!!!! :)))) Love you

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your weekends put mine to shame! You are always so busy and that means life is happening which is always a good thing :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for not only reading my blog, but taking the time to leave a response. If you notice that you do not hear back from me, please ensure you are not a "no-reply" blogger.

Keep in touch:
Twitter: FitnessBlondieL
Instagram: FitnessBlondieL
Say hello: Liz@TheFitnessBlondie.com
PR: Business@TheFitnessBlondie.com