Sometimes when I on a roll with recipe creating, I get in way too deep. What I mean by that: my dishes get really weird. Least we forget that sometimes more simple is more better. Ha. As I was creating my meal plan and grocery list last week, I was not in the mood for any of it. I wanted something simple -- something wholesome and filling. That is when I know it is time for me to get back to the basics.
Often times we get so caught up in the newest miracle food or diet that is up and coming and forget the "good ole foods". I am extremely guilty of that. A healthy style is all about balance. I cannot stress it enough. We all need different nutrients in moderation. I threw together a very simple, easy, filling, and nutritious recipe for my lunches this week. It is packed with protein, complex carbohydrates, vegetables, and it tastes delicious. A small portion of this goes a long way - trust me.
What you need:
- 6 oz's (half a box) Barilla Vegetable Based Pasta. Buy it here
I like this better than brown rice pasta, whole grain, or whole wheat. It is made with freshly pureed tomatoes and carrots. You only need a VERY small portion of this pasta in this dish. The noodles are big.
- 1 pound of extra lean ground turkey (or chicken or beef, your choice)
- Half a bag of fresh spinach (add other vegetables as you wish)
- 1/2 cup of crumbled feta cheese
- 1 container of organic garden vegetable sauce
I normally puree tomatoes myself, but for this recipe I did not so I could have more flavor. As you see pictured above, I only had about 3/4 of a container. I would reccomend a full one. Because extra lean met has not fat and can be quite dry, more sauce helps with the taste and texture. I buy organic sauce at specialty grocery stores. The ingredients tend to be more wholesome and fresh.
What do you do:
- Boil noodles
- Cook meat until almost fully done via stove top in a pan
This will also cook in the oven so leaving it a little undone will not make the meat as dry.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and coat baking pan of your choice thoroughly with nonstick spray
I used a small baking pan.
- Once noodles are al dente, pour them in said baking pan, along with tomato sauce and fresh spinach. Mix thoroughly.
- Add turkey meat and mix thoroughly again
- Top with crumbled feta
- Bake for 20 minutes
1 serving; 7 total servings
This will vary based upon portion size, brands and ingredients used. This is to be used as a guide only.
Calories - 200
Fat - 4g
Carbohydrates - 23g
Fiber - 6g
Protein - 21g