I think I have quite possibly came up with the best recipe ever in the history of "healthy eating". I know that is a pretty bold statement, but these "burgers" are to die for! They are fast, and easy, and you probably have most of the ingredients in your kitchen already; especially if you grow your own zucchini; which I have been reaping benefits from, since a lot of my friends do!
What you need:
- Serving size: 4 large "burgers"
- 1 extra large zucchini (or two small)
- 1/2 cup of reduced fat or fat free feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon of extra light olive oil
- 1 egg white
- 1/3 cup of oat or whole wheat flour (do not use coconut flour, I do and it was absolutely disgusting and did not cook properly.)
- I always recommend my readers adding their own favorite ingredients to make these even more delicious and to your specific liking! Onions and peppers are a good idea. As well as plain (non-flavored) protein powder!
- First, grate your zucchini. I use a regular grater -- one you would use for cheese.
- Drain the zucchini. You can use cheese cloth or put the zucchini in a strainer over the sink and pat down firmly on the zucchini with a spatula.
- In a large mixing bowl add the zucchini and all of the other ingredients. Mix well with a spoon until everything is well blended and your batter is thick. If your batter is too thin, add more flour, cheese, or zucchini. If it is not thick enough, you burgers will not form properly.
- Form mixture into four large patties
- Spray frying pan with nonstick spray, place patties in it and cook via stove top. I use 6-7 heat setting
- Let cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, until patties reflect a golden/brown tint.
Nutritional Information per "burger":
*This will vary depending upon quantities, brands, and amount consumed. This is to be used as a guide only.
- Calories: 150
- Fat: 3g
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 5g